Optimising your website is an ongoing work in progress once launched. There should be a level of ongoing SEO maintenance and updating to improve your website traffic and improve your search engine rankings. This is to ensure that you are getting good visibility in search engine results page (SERP).
By optimising your website you can improve search results, therefore increasing traffic to your site and improve your rankings for keywords to then hopefully leading to click through to your site. In markets where Google is the dominant search engine, play by their rules to ensure your site is compliant to be listed in appropriate search listings.
Fall foul of Googles rules and you will see your website performance deteriorate and appear less in search results, leading to less business leads or sales.
I would always recommend working on what you can on SEO to improve your website operation before paying for social media advertising and anything else that you might think can improve your website traffic and sales. Both work hand in hand, but paid advertising cannot make up for poor content/lack of content, unoptimised images that can all affect your website performance.
Some Questions To Consider When Looking At How To Improve Your W
What channels are driving the most and the least amount of traffic to the website? Direct, organic search, social and referrals? Find the weak areas and work to optimise these to drive more traffic to your site.
How long are people staying on your website (bounce rate, check your Google Analytics), what pages are they viewing and what is their exit point from the site?
Review your website pages that are the most viewed. Analyse the reasons behind this and take some of the learnings and apply to other pages on your site.
Consider your website layout to improve your SEO performance and ensure that relevant content is optimised and not buried in the deepest depths. A good website layout will increase your SEO and make it easier for search engines to understand what you do and rank your site for potentially more keywords and phrases.
Key Things To Understand About SEO and Your W
- Your on-page content is key to getting indexed and good ranking in search engines. If you do not like writing much, sadly search engines have not yet developed the technology to scan images. However, search engines can understand words, contexts and phrases (exact and broad). They are able to sort your content into suitable search classifications and index accordingly.
- Content is also very important for optimising your website, as search engines measure the length of time people spend on your pages to measure the level of relevance that page has (is it doing what it says on the tin?). The longer people stay on the page the lower the bounce rate, therefore a contributing factor to a higher page authority score, which will improve your search engine rankings over time.
- Stop with the waffle and flowery language and be precise about what you are talking about. Most importantly, make sure your content is optimised and contains keywords.
- I have seen sites that have a lot of content on them but are not being picked or indexed by search
engines. This isbecause there is not an ounce of a keyword on them. Without relevant keywords, it is hard for search engines to index your website and rank your pages properly. This will lead to lower visibility in organic search results.
- If you do ladies scarves, then say. If you do 9ct gold handmade fine jewellery, then somewhere in your content titles SAY IT! Search engines are not psychic. If it’s not written down then the meaning and context
islost. All these words and phrases could make up potential keywords that help search engines to rank you.
- The only way people will find you is by typing your site in direct, or you appear on the never page of search engines. If you are not ranking for page 1, at push page 2, then you may not be found.
Keywords = People’s intentions – what kinds of things are people typing into search engines when looking for your products or services?
- To address the above points, Onwards and Up bring you the top 5 free SEO tools to help you improve your website traffic, in the simplest form. You don’t need to be tech savvy to use or understand these traffic tools. Just some common sense and thinking more about how your customer navigates and search for your website, rather than thinking about how YOU engage with it.
- These free SEO tools will help you to identify the hiccups on why your site traffic is low and areas that can be improved. It can also help to optimise your keywords to improve your search engine rankings.
Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a free SEO website traffic tool offered by Google that helps you monitor and maintain your website’s presence and performance in Google search engine results page (SERP).
It is made up of a variety of tasks geared towards improving the usability, usefulness and popularity of a website. This tool enables you to act and work on these to influence the rankings of your website in search engines, depending on your keywords, country, page and device focus.
You don’t have to sign up for Google Search Console for your site to be included in Google’s search results, but doing so can help you understand how Google views your site and optimize its performance in SERPs.
The SEO Support That Google Search Console Provides
- How Google sees your site, what information is it crawling to drive website search
- Who is linking to your website? Learn who has created backlinks to your site and which external links are driving more traffic.
- Tell Google about your site, ie the on-page content of your site so it is able to crawl and index effectively. Submit site maps.
where inthe process Google is in index your pages to appear in the search engine.
- Receive notification of errors on your site performance and structural for you to then fix.
- Disavow bad links to your site that may impact on site rankings and have no relevance or relation to what you do
- Analyse data, see how many people found your site in search engine r
ankingperformance results and how many clicked on it
- Scheme mark-up completed for rich snippets. Are your product prices, company contact info, or events highlighted in rich search results?
- What keywords you are ranking for and which words and phrases you can improve on and on which pages.
Google Analytics is a free SEO tool for measuring your website traffic flow. For most companies, your website serves as a hub for all of your digital traffic. If you are running any marketing
activities such as search paid ads or social media ads, your users are most likely going to visit your website somewhere along their user journey.
Given that your website is the central hub of your digital presence, Google Analytics free tool is the best way to get a holistic view of the effectiveness of all the campaigns you are running to promote your product/services online. Google Analytics can help you track your digital marketing effectiveness.
“But my website already gives me data on people visiting my website”. Yes, if you are using one of the many website platforms then you will have in-built analytics. However, the data is usually topline and not very in-depth as customer journey and behaviour on your site. Your website platform also counts you as part of the visitors and sessions, which in GA you are able to block out IP addresses you regularly access the website from.
Google Analytics provides detailed customer navigation through your site, time spent on pages, page performance, mobile vs desktop functionality. All this and more can be tracked through the tool.
What to look for?
- Unique visitors and page views
- Referrers and keywords (limited data)
- Entry pages
- Exit pages and bounce rate.
Test My Site
Another Google free website traffic tool, which basically tests the load speed of your site. This is very important as this is potentially where many customers can be lost.
With ever more consumers using mobile phones to browse the web, it is important that your site meets the relevant operating specification to keep those customers engaged and not off chasing another website.
Just load your website address into the site and let Google do the rest of the work. It usually takes about a minute for it to analyse your site and then give you a load speed score and a brief overview. Sign up and get a full report of your websites performance for free. The actions will be clearly laid out for you and your web developer to work through.
In your Google Analytics you can also get a further breakdown of you site page speeds. Under Behaviour>Speed>Suggestions. This will tell you what the page load speed score and what you need to address to improve their loading times for mobile and desktop.
Test my site with google is a great seo tool to check website traffic of other websites and competitors in your industry. Compare, identify their weaknesses and get ahead.
Top Things That Affect Your Website Page Loading S
peeds To Drive SEO Traffic
- The size of your images. If they are too big, you should compress them so that the page can load quickly. Page size should not be bigger than 800kb in total, fully loaded.
- Plugins and additional app functionality on your site. As your site becomes more complex and adding additional functionality and features, this can sometimes slow down the load speed of your pages. Test your site with and without certain apps to see if this make a difference to load speed.
- The number of URL requests a website page makes can slow down page speed. Keep your Url requests below 80 per page.
- Apps such as some of the
instashops/reels are examples that can sometimes slow download speed. However, 9 times out of 10 it is not the app but the size of the images you are posting on Instagram. Think about compressing and resizing your images to less than 100kb to improve page load time.
- How old or long have you had your current website template? Have you been receiving regular updates for your template to improve it functionality? If it is an old template, has the developer updated this so that it is mobile responsive? If not, and you don’t have a web developer who have create these updates for you, it might be time to consider shopping around and finding a new template that supports this functionality.
New World Order Google S
Links are very important in the world of SEO. Whether it is internal links to validate web pages or improve seo ranking or user experience; to linking to external sites to validate your information and give you credibility.
However, with constant changes to your website or external websites you are linked to being updated, may lead to links being broken. This leading to the dreaded 404 wrong page alerts to appears where the page has been lost. Ensure you these are managed to improve online sales.
This does not affect your search engine ranking or indexing. This may mean that you may lose potential customers and any links that were referring to that page. If you have backlinks from high rating domains, the loss of many of these may affect your domain authority score. Websites with domain authorities above 30 are scores you want to ensure remain in place.
Whenever you are changing the content on your website and most importantly your URL’s that are linked to other pages internally and externally, make sure you update relevant pages and inform third parties of the update url details. If the page is permanently deleted ensure you redirect the url to an alternative page.
Sometimes website links are broken without us knowing and it is important to regularly monitor the performance of your links and address any that are broken. Use the Broken Link Checker to make sure everything is in good working order. Fix them and inform any other websites that you are linking to the page of any changes you have made.
Websites such as wordpress have a free plugin which you can add that will monitor and inform you when this arises on your site for you to fix.
Hoth Keyword Researcher
The HOTH Keyword Planner free SEO tool, helps find high volume terms that relate to your primary keyword.
Enter your keywords to find out what the search volume and alternatives for the keyword or phrase. With the Hoth keyword research tool, set it to the relevant country you are targeting, and it will provide you with data that is easily downloadable for you to analyse.
Improving your SEO website traffic takes time. Be patient, as updating your website is an ongoing activity. You won’t go from being ranked 50 in search, to number one overnight. A selection of coordinated actions with some tweaking and testing will help to optimise your website and increase you search rankings.
Monitor your website traffic and pages over time through Google Search Console. It usually takes between 3 to 6 months for updates to take effect and for you to start to see improvements to your sites organic traffic.
Looking to understand how to improve your website traffic?
Onwards and Up provides a range of digital services to improve your website performance and giving you a stronger online presence.
If you have any further questions please contact us!